Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Hello all

Currently uploading 9 meg through the eye of the needle so have a little time to blog at you.

Yesterday had spicy kimche noodles for lunch. Interesting but not particularly highly recommended. Visited the site in the afternoon, which is currently a very quiet hole in the ground. Considering how hard the Koreans used to work us in S'pore, they finish bloody early when they're at home. I think there is a strong union presence here, not sure. Traffic seems to be in a constant state of gridlock. The city gives me an impression of Tokyo crossed with Taipei, which is a good thing. Quite a lot of low-rise, but with decent design intent to a lot of it. 12 lane main roads with tiny alleys feeding into the very large city block areas. really makes you feel like you're in a quiet area once you're a couple of alleys away from the main drag. The main drags are, of course, another story.

Went out for Korean barbeque last night. I don't know why I don't have Korean food more often, I quite like it. Never will it reach the heady hights of mee goreng, roti prata, chilli crab or lamb madras, but a sight better than the cantonese nonsense we get in honkers. Someone recommended a korean resteraunt in Causeway bay (HK) so I'll have to try it when I get back. Korean BBQ, for those unfamiliar, is strips of meat (in our case marinated beef) cooled on a skillet above a smokless wood fire in the middle of the table. Condiments include just about every type of vegitable imaginagle, separately pickled with varying concentrations of chilli paste (collectively called kimche)and presented on separate dishes. All very good for the fresh breath, let me tell you.

This meal was followed by some very expensive and not very good beer, which I will have to fill you in on later 'cause me uploading's complete and I have to dash off to another meeting

Bomber out