Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Sugar warning on fizzy drinks

No shit? check out this story in the Guardian, in which the yanks decide that coke might make you fat. No doubt this completely exhonerates McD's

Will find out this morning if our project has made it through the night alive. I recall suggesting a couple of months ago that I was fairly sure that the Main-con on the project had another company in mind for the facade and that, if I were more cynical, I would suggest that company is our joint venture partner. Well, I hate to say "I told me so" but... It further appears (although only circumstantial evidence exists for this) that the PQS and the client's local rep are involved as well. Seems they don't want foreigners on their turf. I expect that this has all been timed to be a fait accompli by the time the French get back from hols (they're starting to dribble back now) so the next few days should be key. I have been suggesting to my boss that he go to the French direct but he seems reticent. His call, I suppose, but I warned him from the start about my suspicions and he decided to play the "white man". Now they're going to fuck us for it.

Back to shop fronts, I expect. Poo.

Frankly bigger news is that the Chinese are forcibly shutting down industry on the mainland because they don't have enough power. This is expected to further push up the price of aluminium (China produces about 20% of the world's supply at the moment) which, on top of an alreay 30 some % rise this year, may render my industry somewhat unviable in any case. You may see the first plastic unitised facades before long, or perhaps this will precipitate a leap forward in construction materials technology and we'll all be living in carbonfibre shells by the end of the decade. Top.

8.20, so I should go get ready for work.

Bomber out