Sunday, May 23, 2004

morning

I was going to post this link to a story of a woman who rides her motorbike solo through the abandoned wasteland of Chenobyl. I was pointed to the site a month or so ago and had planned to put it on the blog this week. However, when I checked neil Gaiman's site this morning, I found a report that it was 80% bullshit. Turns out that she was;

1. with her husband and a guide
2. in a car (she carried the m/bike helmet)
3. on an official tour

Also, claims that several of the (very good) photographs were staged. Interesting, then, that when the news broke on the Urban Exploration Resource site the main concern seemed to be the revelation that this Ukranian beauty is married. As one correspondent put it;

in terms of thought here is how my process ran:

1. Absorb story.
2. Decide if I would or wouldn't.
2. Wipe hands on pants.

This site (UER) is dedicated to people who go exploring tunnels and urban wastelands, abandoned buildings etc and then write about them. I will spend some time here when I have some.

Just had a look through the Ghost town website again and, true or not, it's still haunting and well worth the look. The whole "my dad's a scientist who got me the pass" thing does add a bit of mystery but strip that away and you still have a very interesting travelogue.

Gadget phreakery and this site has a list of planned PSP games. Notable inclusions; GT4, Metal Gear Acid. Notable absences; GTA, Bikini beach volleyball. Screen shots of MGA make it look better than PS1 and almost as good as PS2, which is too good to be true, frankly. Still going to get one.

Out