Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Penultimate trip to China

 

Bus timetables etc etc. Not much to say about the place really except it’s hot, sweaty and I don’t like it. Nothing new there then. Lunch brought a new experience; I ordered a burger and they served it with a side plate on top of which was a plastic glove. The world is truly going mad, let me tell you.

 

Bubble’s settling in well in Brussels. She went to her first beer festival last weekend. There’s another this weekend… I think I’m going to like this town.

 

Went PS2 game shopping last week and picked up Kill all Humans, TW golf ’05 and God of War. These were on “Special Discount” 140HK for the three, but you don’t get a case … or instructions … err … and the discs are cunningly disguised to look like a DVD-Rs.

 

Now then, TW golf is what I expected, a more sophisticated version of the PSP game I already have. This will make for some fun afternoons in Brussels with a crate of beer and the projector.

 

Kill All Humans I picked up because I liked the concept; essentially, you are a gray and you invade the earth using your trusty zap-o-matic, mind control and the indispensable anal probe. The gameplay isn’t really up to much though so I didn’t get very far before getting a bit bored and popping in God of War. The next thing I knew it was 2 am and I’d been playing for 6 hours.

 

What a fucking brilliant game GoW is. Based in Ancient Greece, you play a Spartan warrior turned pawn of the gods name of Kratos. Kratos’ main weapons are a pair of axes anchored to his wrists by 10’ chains. The chains make for a myriad of combo moves but key mashing also brings much satisfaction. Axe fight anyone? Fucking right! The game is a little like Devil May Cry (Horror movie camera angled 3rd person, jump around, kill impossibly big monsters while getting extra points for viciousness and style) but GoW is much more puzzle based and puts less priority on combo-wielding talent (although still quite a lot) which is good coz I found DMC fucking impossible. GoW is about my level, key mashing wise and the puzzle stuff is always entertaining. So far I especially like the moving blocks around on a conveyor belt (with a bone crushing spiked wheel blocking the downstream end of the conveyor, of course) while fighting zombies. I’m enjoying this so much I might just pick up Code Veronica X and DMC for another try when I get to Europe. I always found the 3rd person viewing angle bloody impossible before but either GoW has got it tuned just right for my (lack of) co-ordination or something’s clicked with me and I can do it now. Probably the former but you never know… Oh yeah and there’s axe fights so TONS of gore

 

Nuff for now, on the bus back to HK at 6 (etc etc) so more time wasting before I slope off

 

Bomber out