Friday, January 13, 2006


Afternoon all



I went for my first night time mountain bike ride last night. T'was most excellent, except that I was reminded how much I rely on looking down at my bike to check what gear I'm in. That doesn't work so well at 9pm on a winter night...

The forest was completely empty (well; we saw one othe bike and 2 rabbits, so almost) so we were able to ride the "super special forbidden trails" without fear of running into the parkies. Most of these trails are actually prepared (so no damage problems) and have apparently been banned to bikes due to their popularity amongst walkers. And their kids in prams. And their uncles. And their uncle's dogs. So, riding them all at night no problem then.

One of the other bike club members lent me his lights, which are teh ones in the picture. These are ace and capable of blinding any motorist at 200 paces. Sadly they also cost 150 quid so I'll be holding off on a new purchase any time soon and relying on loans and charity for now. Another bloke told me on Wednesday (we had a skiver's ride, that I was obviously part of, on Wednesday afternoon) that he'd bought a set for 40 shiny Euro things, which he'd been using for offroading so maybe I'll give them a look. For that price I could buy 2 and strap one to me helmet (the one on my head Jezz).

We should be going out again next week and I want to try and get some pictures because the forest just looks so different under lamp light. Meantine, I'm dreaming of this video camera with lipstick cam attached for making stoked extreme middle aged biking videos.



Hmmm, groovy video goodness. And look, it's bullet shaped ... so you go faster

Bomber out