Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Apr 13, 7.30 pm
Home


Back to Sri Lanka and...

After the backgammon, we were happy to find that the fans were working, the earlier brown out was over so we were able to sleep the fitfull sleep of the drunk without too much sweating.

Morning came and the water from the taps still smelled worse that we did (these things always being relative) so we trekked over to what would be Ray and Ange's pad for the rest of the week and availed ourselves of their shower and power points for further pod charging.

Swift lunch (a final NO on the crab front) and a couple of hours lying in the sand reading my book and it was time to go.

6 hours of absolute mayhem ensued as we drove back up the Galle road to Columbo, picking up Marie's friend Jen on the way. Another hour of near death experiences and we were at the airport.

Frankly the whole thing was severely uneventful and I slept through the majority of it.

You will have gathered that I enjoyed my holiday. Fact is, a soft push and I would have stayed; there's so much to do in Sri Lanka and some of it I could probably even make some money at, although it might be a little early in the game what with the Tamils acting up and the Sinhalese giving the wrong message at the polls but the time will come. A few factoids for anyone thinking of making a trip;

Sri Lanka
Population; 20 some million
Currency; Sri Lankan Rupee. 100Rs = 1 USD (near as dammit)
flying distance from both HK and London: about 7 hours
Time zone: GMT +6 (no daylight savings)
Hotels: cheap
Beer: cheap
Food: cheap
People: friendly
Diving: great
Political situation: Better on the ground than it looks in the news
Cyclists: Mad as a box of frogs

That's me for the Sri Lanka trip, Andrea's already planning a long weekend in May then summer hols; TWO holidays ahead, but I will save that rant for another day. Thanks for coming with me; it's been fulfilling knowing that you are all sitting dilberted in your little office cubes with me teling you what a good time we're having. Perhaps you'll do the same when you next go on holiday, if so; send me the link to your blog.

On with the show and back to work; I had a call today that a client of mine wants to create a fgacade design that they did in Japan but in less time and in Taiwan. Sounds like a challenge. Here we go

Bombed out